Work or Student Visa for Germany

You're not sure, if you need a work or student visa for Germany? Click here to find out.

If you want to stay more than three months, or you want to study or work in Germany, you'll have to apply for a longer stay visa before entering Germany.

What are the visa requirements for a longer stay visa?

The visa requirements for longer stay visa (more than 90 days) are the same as for a tourist visa, plus you have to demonstrate that you have been accepted to study at a German high school or university.

Where can you get your German student visa?

You have to request your longer stay visa in the German embassy or consulate, which is nearest to your residence.

Your visa has to be issued before you enter Germany. Only in exceptions you can extend a tourist visa, once inside the country.

Any nationals who don't need a tourist visa, can apply for student visa, after entering our country.

How long does it take to issue your student visa?

According to the German Foreign Office it takes usually three months, but could last much longer to issue your student visa. If you plan to study or work in Germany, submit your visa application at least 6 months in advance!

Can you travel outside Germany during your studies?

When you have a student visa for Germany (or any other Schengen country), you're allowed to travel to all other Schengen countries, but not longer than 90 days.